Much of Halloween fun revolves around trick-or-treating; kids dressing up as their favorite characters and going door to door for treats. Those treats usually involve delicious candy. The world has evolved through the generations, and with that, Halloween, though. More information is available about how candy can affect your health. Food allergies are also more commonly understood now.
Reasons To Give Non-Candy Halloween Treats
In the past, if you did not give out candy for Halloween, it was high reason for a little mischief to hit your house – egged cars and windows, toilet paper trees. But, now, the many reasons to give out non-candy treats have become the norm. Those reasons include:
- Food Allergies: Food allergies have risen over the years, especially those related to peanuts. Many popular candies include peanuts, or have been made in the same factory as other candies that contain peanuts.
- Sugar: Obesity and other health problems have also been on the rise, especially in children. Not giving out sugar on Halloween can help to let kids’ parents make the important decision of how much sugar their kids should eat without as much fighting.
- Teeth: Candy is known not to be good for teeth, especially for kids wearing braces, where the gooey candy can get stuck easily.
- Dye Sensitivities: Many kids are sensitive to food dyes, which are hard to avoid in many candies.
Non-Candy Halloween Treats for Kids (that are Food)
If you still love the idea of giving out some sort of food for Halloween, these snacks are great options. You can find many of these snack ideas in Halloween themed packets for the fall season, which can make them that much more fun to give away as a treat on Halloween night.
- Hot Chocolate Packs
- Apple Cider Packs
- Goldfish Crackers
- Popcorn Packs
- Juice Boxes
- Halloween Fortune Cookies (yes, they exist!)
Non-Food Halloween Treats for Kids
Going with a non-food Halloween treat is a great way to ensure the treat works for every kid who comes to your doorstep for Halloween. Best yet, there are a lot of fun Halloween-themed non-food options out there.
- Halloween Rubber Ducks
- Bouncy Balls
- Maze Puzzles
- Mini Skeleton Toys
- Glow Sticks, Necklaces, or Bracelets
- Spider Rings
- Vampire Fangs
- Mini Notebooks
- Pencils and erasers
- Loose Change